DIY Gone Bad

June 5, 2012 — 1 Comment

I’m more DIY than I like to admit to these days. It just seems so Portland and I hate to do the “in” thing just because everyone else is. I do however like to save money and knowing what is in my products is appealing to me these days. So with that being said, I made my own dishwasher detergent. It was really simple, I put it in it’s container, made a cute label and stashed it under the sink. The next day I went to add my tablespoon to the dishwasher and it was as hard as a rock. In less than 12 hours my nice homemade detergent was well, not so nice. I’ve spent the last two weeks taking a knife to it to get out the amount I needed to wash my dishes but after weeks of not coming out clean and spiking my blood pressure with the frustration to get it out of there it is no longer worth it. So back to the store I go. I’ll gladly pay an extra $20 a year to have clean dishes and no frustration while trying to stab to death the block of detergent every day.

Has anyone else made homemade dishwasher detergent? Did you have a different outcome?

In other news, we have strawberries and raspberries ripening in our yard and I’m so excited for berry season!! Isaac and I enjoyed sitting on the front porch today admiring all the berries and flowers and trying to soak in the Vit. D since the rain seems to be making more of an appearance than the sun this week. Boo to you rain; Bring on the summer weather.

Isn’t that dimple adorable?! And his hair looks oddly similar to that flower behind his head don’t you think? So irresistible!

Jody

Posts

One response to DIY Gone Bad

  1. jenniferpester June 9, 2012 at 2:08 pm

    Hey Jody! I’ve been making my own dishwasher soap for a few months now and love it! I’m not sure if the one I make is cheaper or not, but it works and I know what’s in it. The citric acid is what makes it clump, plus humidity of course. The first time mine clumped so I pulled out my sharpening steel and chopped it to bits. Then after breaking it all apart I put some rice into a little satchel of cheese cloth (I’m sure anything breathable would do) and tossed it into the container. No more clumps! I’ll try to post the link here soon.

Leave a Reply

Text formatting is available via select HTML. <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

*